Viking Gold

Sign Up for Newsletter

News Detail

Viking Gold Commences Summer Exploration Program

Date : Jul 30, 2009

Toronto, Ontario – July 30, 2009 – Viking Gold Exploration Inc. (TSX-V: VCG) is pleased to announce that as a result of the successful completion of its June 2009 financing, it has now mobilized a drilling, surface mapping and sampling program on its Morris Lake – Narrow Lake property. This property is situated in the northern portion of the Yellowknife volcanic belt. 

 

A Viking Gold work party of five persons arrived on the property on July 6 followed by diamond drillers a week later. A two-hole drill section was completed on the eastern side of Narrow Lake on July 22, providing 310 metres of core which has been flown by helicopter to the Viking Gold summer camp. The Company is leasing facilities at Tyhee Development Corp's nearby property for this summer program because land use restrictions prevent practical access to the regular Viking Gold camp situated 10 kilometers to the south of the current work site.

 

The drill is now located 600 metres west of the first drill site, and drilling is proceeding in an easterly direction beneath Narrow Lake to explore a geophysical anomaly identified by the Company in its 2006 airborne survey. This magnetic anomaly is bounded by two lake sediment samples having some of the highest gold assay values, obtained by the Company in its 2007 lake sampling survey. The combination of holes from these two Viking Gold drill sites will provide the first significant drill testing of the Ormsby gold zone south of the Tyhee property.

 

Tyhee has recently established a substantial gold resource through its work, in recent years, on a mineralized trend extending northerly for a distance of 3,000 metres to the high-grade past producer Discovery Yellowknife Gold Mine. The third drill hole in Viking’s current program is at a depth of 110 metres and is beneath the western shore of Narrow Lake. The zone of particular interest will be tested by the next 200 metres of coring. Please refer to the websites of both Tyhee (www.tyhee.com) and Viking Gold (see below) for additional information on the setting of this work.

 

The claims being tested by this drill program have been optioned from Peregrine Diamonds Ltd. If Viking Gold completes $1 million of cumulative exploration work on this mineral property by September 9, 2011, it will earn a 60% joint venture interest, with Peregrine owning the other 40%.

 

Robert M. Ginn, Ph. D., P.Eng, President of Viking Gold, is the Qualified Person responsible for the Morris Lake project and has verified the information reported above.

 

For further information contact Robert Ginn, CEO at (416) 364-6244 ext. 227 or visit our website at: www.vikinggold.ca.

 

Neither TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this press release.

PROJECTS

Overview
viking gold map
Our active projects are in ON and PQ.
Click on the pic to start with Larose.